Thursday, January 8, 2009

Point It Out

A couple of days ago I received a used book that I had ordered from a seller on Amazon. On the enclosed packing slip, I noticed that the shipping service of standard had been crossed out and a notation of “free upgrade to first class” had been handwritten in large, easily-read script. Below that, next to the book’s title was written “Thank you.”

Glancing at the outside of the package, I checked out the price of the mailing. Since I regularly mail books, I know how much one book of this size costs to mail via media mail, which was the “standard” shipping to which the packing slip referred. The price on the front of the package was the same as the price of sending this book via media mail. In other words, the seller did not spend any more to send me the book. As the handwritten notation said, the seller gave me a free upgrade. This was free to me and also free to the seller.

What this told me is that the seller was looking out for my best interests. By upgrading to first class, the book moved through the system more quickly and arrived to me sooner. The seller took the time to compare the classes by which the book could be sent, and, since the cost was the same, the seller opted for the quicker class, which was a benefit to me. Although not required and certainly not asked by me to do so, the seller looked out for me, his customer.

Then, he pointed it out to me.

By handwriting the “free upgrade to first class” on the packing slip, the seller took an important step. He deliberately told me what he had done. While the average customer would not have the knowledge to analyze his actions as I just did, the communication of a “free upgrade” would be appreciated by any customer. Taking the time to tell me of this action was a very wise move on the seller’s part. This communication made me more inclined to offer positive feedback on the seller, something every seller loves to receive, but, due to the busyness of most buyers, is difficult to achieve.

In addition, the form in which the seller offered the communication, handwriting, is important. Handwritten notations are noticed simply because they are handwritten. Since most communications today are typed, a handwritten note stands out. Handwriting is also very personal. Handwriting gets attention because the recipent feels specially addressed. That is why direct mail experts advise hand addressing envelopes; their potential of being opened is greatly increased.

Doing the handwriting and deciding to upgrade to first class took time. While I realize that in the daily crush of doing business this time can be a struggle to find, successful business people find that time. They set up a system of dealing with customers which looks out for each customer’s best interest and communicates that action to the customer. Most businesses look out for the customer’s best interest. However, many neglect giving themselves credit for their actions so that customers notice.

How about you? Are you telling your customers how you looked out for their best interests? If you aren’t, who will? Don’t think that your customer will figure this out. Your customer will not take the time. You must do it.

To get credit for your actions on your customer’s behalf, you must point it out to your customer.

No comments: