Saturday, April 15, 2017

Take the Time

I stopped at Culver’s for lunch Friday.  Employees were handling a long line at the drive up, and, after I placed my order, I was instructed to pull over to the right behind two cars already filling the two wait spaces on the right.  That meant my car was in a “non-wait space” near the route that cars took to exit the parking lot.   Shortly thereafter, an employee delivered an order to the driver of the car in the first space.  After that car pulled out, the driver of the second car moved forward.  Greatly relieved, I followed suit and moved into the second space.  Moments later another car maneuvered into the “non-wait space” behind my car. 

Distracted by my car’s tight parking situation of being trapped between two cars, I was surprised when I heard Michael, the general manager of the restaurant, at my window.  “I have your order.”  He handed it to me, stepped back slightly, and continued, “The car behind yours is about a foot away.  I will stand here and help you get out of this space safely.”

Before I could react to his offer, the person in the car behind me backed her car away to give me lots of room.  “Thank you,” Michael called to her. 

As I pulled out, he walked over to her car and thanked her again.

Driving back to my office, I thought about Michael’s actions.  He took the time to notice that I had a problem.  Then he acted on what he had seen by offering to help me maneuver out of the parking space.  Finally he made a point to thank the customer behind me, doing so twice to be certain she had received the message.

His actions had even more impact because they came from the general manager.  He set an example to all the employees of how to treat customers.  Whether employees noticed this particular situation or not, they are exposed to Michael leading by example in situations such as this all day long everyday.  They mirror his lead, and that is why the employees at that Culver’s are courteous, friendly, and customer-focused. 

I reflected how this situation compared to the disastrous United Airlines episode this week.  The first time I saw the news story, I said out loud, “The lack of customer focus starts at the top.  Management doesn’t have an emphasis on treating customers well and, consequently, doesn’t train employees to do so.”

Thinking about Michael, I’m also certain United Airlines management doesn’t lead by example in customer treatment, either. 

How customers are treated starts at the top.  General managers set the example and decide the training for customer service.  How are you or your general manager doing in this regard?  Are you taking the time to give customers attention?

This week's marketing trivia challenge is What good customer service have you experienced?  E-mail me your answer.

No comments: