Sunday, August 20, 2017

Never Use This Phrase in Your Marketing

I very seldom use the word never, but I am using it today because I feel so strongly about this phrase.  After hearing it this morning, I was prompted to write about it today.  The phrase is “We have everything you need.”  You may have heard other versions such as “For all your (fill-in-the-blank) needs,” “The only store you need,” or “Your one stop shop for (fill-in-the-blank).”  Any version has the same impact.

None.

I understand why businesspeople use these words.  They want to communicate that their business has an extensive selection, and, therefore, the customer can find “everything” at their stores.  They want customers to shop only their stores and think that making this statement will help accomplish that goal. 

In truth, they are just wasting words.  The word everything indicates too much.  What store has everything?  That is not possible and, thus, unbelievable.  Everything is also vague and general.  Everything of what?  Oh, that’s right.  Everything I need.  How does that store know what I need to say nothing of everything that I need?  Again, that is unbelievable.  I don’t even know everything I need.  If I hear of something new tomorrow, I may feel that now I need that item.  Yesterday, I didn’t think that I needed it.  I didn’t even know it existed.  How did the store’s management know?  

Did the store’s management add the item to the store’s stock because of me?

Of course not.

Actually, what the store’s management did in using the phrase is lose an opportunity.  They used meaningless words, “Everything you need,” instead of specific words that tell customers exactly what they can find at the store.  All target markets have particular items that attract them.  Citing those items communicates clearly to customers that the store has what they want.  They get the message and react positively to it.

Meaningless words do not get a reaction.  They do not encourage customers to frequent the store.  They also indicate that management has not thought through the message that they want to convey to get customers into the store.  Instead of identifying the store’s market and thinking through what the store offers that market, management is merely throwing out some words to create an ad. 

Management is not placing value on the words employed in communications with customers.  I call these $100 words.  However, these words may be worth much more than $100 because of the revenue they generate.  Specific words in a message prompt customers to contact the business.  These words are priceless.

Seek them out and use them wisely.

This week's marketing trivia challenge is What specific words have helped you generate revenue?  E-mail me your answer.

No comments: