Sunday, January 28, 2018

How Does Your Business’s Web Site Measure Up?

“We just uploaded a new Web site,” Dave said as I walked to the door.  “Take a look at it and let me know what you think.”

“I will,” I replied.

“And this site,” he added, “we can change ourselves instead of needing to contact someone else to do it.”

“That is great!” I heartily approved.

When I returned to my office, I set aside a few minutes and eagerly opened Dave’s site.  I was impressed.  The site accomplished my top three criteria for a Web site.  First, the site immediately communicated Dave’s business‘s unique selling proposition.  Using attractive, appealing, and inviting images and text, the site showed the beauty of Dave’s facility. From the time you drive into the parking lot and with each step you take throughout the building and the gardens, Dave’s place vibrates magnificence. Every bit is meticulously groomed.  Dave’s staff members are alert to keeping both the gardens and the building looking their best all day long.  The photos on the site accurately reflect this attention to detail and the resulting loveliness of the place.

Second, the site is very easy to navigate.  A visitor can quickly find information on the facility, the gardens, and holding an event at the place.  Whether the visitor wants to have a wedding, banquet, or meeting, examples of each, the availability of amenities, and how to reserve the space are right at the visitor’s fingertips.  That gives the visitor what he or she needs to make a decision.

Finally, every business owner ought to be able to update the site in-house.  The only time someone outside the business needs to touch a site is when a major upgrade is being done.  Otherwise someone who works in the business, understands it, and has daily contact with the owner and/or manager is the one to do the changes.  That gives the business more control, the ability to act quickly, and the maximum use of the site.

I clearly saw that the site had been designed by an outsider looking in, thinking through what a visitor would want to know, and approaching the site from the viewpoint of a customer.  Since Dave has always been extremely customer-focused, that did not surprise me.  His business’s new site now also reflects that attitude. 

How does your Web site measure up with these three criteria?  Does it project your business’s unique selling proposition?  Is it easy to navigate?  Can you make changes to it in-house? 

Have a customer look at it and answer the first two questions.  Let me know the answers to all three.  Take a look at Dave’s business’s site at thefloriangardens.com.

This week's marketing trivia challenge is How does your Web site measure up with these three criteria?  E-mail me your answer.

No comments: